Site_Specific / Cool Capital
Project Wrap Up: Environmental Art Workshop (free)
Saturday 20 September 2014, 13h00 - 16h00
Manie van der Schijff Botanical Gardens, University of Pretoria
RSVP katty vandenberghe, mediaATsitespecific.org.za
Site_Specific & Cool Capital are presenting a wrap-up and nature art workshop at the University of Pretoria botanical garden. Enaba Productions will launch a short art film on the Environmental Art Project (28 July to 28 August 2014). Anni Snyman (Site_Specific) will discuss Site_Specific's 2016 NOMAD project, and initiate a second Nature Art workshop in the botanical garden. Participating artists will be present to give feedback on their respective experiences. The workshop is FREE and open to the public, please confirm your attendance.
BRING along some gardening gloves, a small bag to gather materials, a small blade to cut & carve found materials, a camera to take photographs of your nature art works. Share your photographs here and forward your best images to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Site_Specific wishes to thank Christo J. Niemandt and Neil Human of Enaba Productions, Carla Taljaard of Cool Capital, and Jason Sampson (curator of the UP Botanical Garden) for their wonderful support and engagement.
SHARE your experiences, feedback, favourite & updated images here
Please share this event with all those who participated or visited our respective interventions, and share your images, comments, feedback, and conversation.
THANK YOU to everyone who came along and participated or supported, if only for a brief moment, if only by following us online, if only by sharing our pics & posts, if only by discussing our project at gatherings.
Pretoria Environmental Art Project
28 June - 28 August 2014
- MAP http://goo.gl/dM3cH2
- PHOTO ALBUM pinterest.com/sitespecificafr/2014-pretoria-environmental-art-project
- DOCUMENTATION facebook.com/events/1435037720102678/
- ARTICLE beeld.com/vermaak/2014-08-06-performance-vir-die-omgewing
- VIDEOS Sunrise performance; Experimental farm installation; Elemental traces meander; LEAF | LEAVE
- CALENDAR Select 'Agenda' to view our list of activities, click for more info.
Events & Participants
- Nature art workshop: Anni Snyman & katty vandenberghe (Site_Specific) with Carla Taljaard (Cool Capital) & Thea Nigrini (Tina Skukan Gallery).
- Faerie Glen nature reserve sunrise performance: Selogadi Mampane, Dewald Vorster, & Anderson Barroso with Carla Taljaard
- Experimental farm cleanup project & land art installation: Izanne Wiid & Sybrand Wiechers with Riana Willemse & the Rietondale community.
- Groenkloof nature reserve elemental traces meander: Diana Miller with her grand-daughter & husband.
- Faerie Glen nature reserve LEAF | LEAVE nature art installation: Grietjie Lee & Frikkie with Nimrod & Suzan.
- Willows wetlands meditation: AJ Chappy Holtzhausen & friends.
- Klapperkop nature reserve cleansing ritual: Erynne Ewart-Phipps with family & friends.
- Mamelodi East clean up project & stone spiral mandala: Ke Neil We & Banele Khoza & friends (incl. Selogadi Mampane).
- Wrap up workshop: Anni Snyman & katty vandenberghe with Jason Sampson, University of Pretoria Botanical Gardens.
- Videography team: Christo J. Niemandt & Neil Human of Enaba Productions.
- Co-ordinated by katty vandenberghe (Site_Specific) with Anni Snyman (Site_Specific) & Carla Taljaard (Cool Capital).
Sponsors & Thank You
- Site_Specific wishes to thank Pieter Mathews & Carla Taljaard of Cool Capital for launching an incredible effort and inviting us in.
- Thank you also to all the artists & their circle of family & friends who came out to support their individual efforts. In total we will have activated nine nature or green sites around the Pretoria / Tshwane area over a two month period, highlighting environmental and conservation issues along the way.
- Finally a very big thank you goes to Christo J. Niemandt and Neil Human of ENABA Productions who came out and documented most of our events, editing short social media clips, projections, and hopefully a short documentary along the way to help promote and document our project. ENABA Productions is a video and film production company based in Pretoria, South Africa. For professional corporate & music video production & motion graphics, please contact email@example.com, or visit www.enaba.tv - Neil (072 714 4257, firstname.lastname@example.org) & Christo (074 378 0070, email@example.com).
Project Launch : Nature Art Workshop
Saturday 28 June 2014 • facebook photo album
As an introduction to Site_Specific’s participation in the Cool Capital Biennale taking place in Pretoria in 2014, we held our first nature art workshop at the Tina Skukan Gallery premises in Faerie Glen, Pretoria. Artists and nature lovers were invited to join us for an introductory workshop on nature art in preparation for the activation of 'Site_Specific / Cool Capital' sites around Pretoria in July & August.
Site_Specific wishes to encourage conversations between artists, researchers, and scientists in considering the natural spaces & rivers present in the city.
Project Brief : Environmental Art
Artists and nature lovers are invited to activate environmental art projects around the city and its metropolitan areas as individuals or in collaboration with other artists/ nature lovers/ interested parties. Environmental art is an umbrella term that encompasses land art, eco art, nature art, and so on. For a brief introduction, please visit greenmuseum.org.
Artists are encouraged to connect with individuals associated with their chosen site who are involved in maintaining, protecting, or researching the site. If no such individuals are available, artists are encouraged to contact nature conservationists or researchers to engage in some kind of conversation concerning the natural history of the site, including anthropological research that predates the establishment of the city. Projects will be spread across a two month period between 28 June & 28 August 2014 to provide a continuous flow of art events as a lead-up to the main biennale starting 29 August 2014.
Each project should keep basic environmental guidelines in mind, and can comprise performance, rituals, temporary structures or drawings, and so on.
- Read through our environmental guidelines document.
- Each project should have an official duration, 'opening' date and time so that Site_Specific / Cool Capital can invite the press and public in.
- Each artist / participant should document their own process / progress / final outcome to deliver to Site_Specific & Cool Capital for their respective online platforms and media releases.
- Where possible, Site_Specific & Cool Capital will send photographers / videographers / the press to document your process and interview participants.
- Subscribe to and follow our project Google Calendar to keep track of project events.
- Join our facebook project event page for ongoing notifications and updates.
- Participants must please liaise with katty vandenberghe at media@ to finalise details.
Please provide the following details if you wish to participate:
- Name of individual or group:
- Contact person and details:
- Artists' short bio:
- Image of artist:
- Site to be activated:
- Google Maps link to site:
- Physical address of site:
- Site contact (any person / group you're communicating with on site):
- Documented images of site:
- Environmental art project description: